Join our ASHI certified instructors to learn basic lifesaving techniques. After completing a five-and-a-half hour online learning course and attending an in-person class, you will be certified in Basic Life Support (CPR/AED) Oxygen, and Basic First Aid by the American Health and Safety Institute.
Learn to lifeguard in a variety of settings including pool, lake, river, surf, and water park. Earn certifications: YMCA Lifeguard, First Aid, CPR for the Professional Rescuer, AED, and Oxygen Administration.
PREREQUISITE SWIM REQUIREMENTS:
Before enrolling in the lifeguard certification class, participants must be able to:
- Tread water for two minutes
- Swim 100 yards of front crawl
- Swim 50 yards of each:
- Front crawl with head up
- Breaststroke with head up
- Elementary backstroke kick with hands on chest
- Perform a feet-first surface dive in 6.5 feet of water, then swim underwater for 15 feet.
- Sprint for approximately 60 feet, and then perform an arm-over-arm surface dive in 6.5 feet of water, pick up diving ring from the bottom, surface, tread water for one minute (legs only), and replace the ring back to the bottom of the pool.
- Swim the remaining length to end of the pool and hoist yourself out of water.
- Immediately begin compressions on an adult manikin for 100 compressions; stand and follow directions from the lifeguard instructor.
Our prerequisite swim is scheduled two weeks before the course begins. Once you complete the swim, you will be given a pass to register for the course at the Welcome Center. Once registered, a lifeguard instructor will send you more information about the remainder of the course.
The lifeguard certification course is delivered through 8 hours of e-learning (completed outside of class), 14 hours of classroom instruction, and 13 hours of instruction in the pool. Participants must complete all e-learning and participate in all classroom and pool sessions to receive certification.