Enjoy this festive time of year with your friends and family with these 31 tips from the Y.
In December, many families gather together to enjoy the holidays and honor the season. Spending time together benefits the health and well-being of our families and communities, and it creates opportunities for growth and learning with our loved ones. The Y is committed to empowering all people to reach their potential through Y programs and collaborations.
Peruse this list to find free, easy activities to enjoy using your Y membership with the whole family, each day in December.
Daily activities for December 1 - December 31:
1. Do a pool plunge
Take a dip in the hot tub, then go straight into the pool. The rapid change of temperature will be like a mini polar plunge! Pool schedules are available so you can attend a class, swim laps, or enjoy the water during the Y's Open Swim. Be sure to talk to your doctor before trying this activity if increased blood pressure or stimulation of your nervous system might adversely affect your health.
2. Visit a festive holiday display
Over at Haselwood Family YMCA, more than 200 decorative pieces are on display, recreating a bustling holiday village right in their welcome center. Read more about this display or visit today!
3. Read a book set in winter
4. Make hot cocoa
5. Try a virtual class and learn something new
YMCA360 is available anywhere, anytime. Try a brand new workout or skill and discover new ways to focus on your health.
6. Make a homemade gift
7. Look for festive lights in your neighborhood
There are many ways to volunteer for your local Y. Find opportunities available now.
9. Holiday sweater Pickleball
Don a holiday sweater and bring a friend for a game of Pickleball. Many of our community centers have open court times. Check our schedules and play at the Y!
10. Support a small local business
11. Donate a toy to a child in need
Our Giving Trees are now open! December 16 is the final day you can bring a new, unopened toy for a child at your local Y.
12. Make the perfect winter playlist
13. Registration is open from December 13-15! Sign up for a swim class or water aerobics today.
14. Classes are open for registration through December 15. Try something new!
15. December 15 is the last day of our December registration session. Add a new course to your routine.
16. Watch a holiday movie
17. Bake a treat
18. Visit a holiday event or market
19. Take a family photo
20. View some winter flowers
21. Stretch or do yoga
Many of our members find yoga to be a valuable part of their health and wellness goals. Find a class today and learn more!
22. Go for a walk or run
Get out of the cold weather using an indoor track or on the treadmill at one of our community centers.
23. Paint or draw
24. Write a note or letter
25. Spend time with your family and friends
26. Save the date! Registration is open from January 4-5.
27. Play J.O.L.L.Y. (A holiday version of H.O.R.S.E.)
Horse is a basketball shooting game where players take turns shooting at the hoop from different spots on the court. It can be played with just two people attempting to duplicate each others' shots, and getting a letter toward the word 'HORSE' for every failed attempt. Try it out with this festive variation using the basketball courts at one of our community centers.
28. Have a game night
29. Donate to a nonprofit organization
You can donate to the Y, or any other organization that makes a difference in your community!
30. Set your goals for the upcoming year
31. Celebrate the New Year!
Enjoy this list? Share a photo from your December festivities and tag the YMCA of Pierce and Kitsap Counties on Facebook or Instagram!
Join the Y all month long as we promote health and wellness by spending time with our families and friends. By prioritizing making memories and exploring our neighborhoods with loved ones, we can focus on empowering young people and inspiring action in and across communities. The YMCA of Pierce and Kitsap Counties encourages every one of our members to participate in the festive season!