Learn to Lifeguard in a variety of settings including pool, lake, river, surf, and water park. Earn YMCA Lifeguard, First Aid, CPR for the Professional Rescuer, AED and Oxygen Administration certifications.
LIFEGUARD CERTIFICATIONS AND FEE
Included: CPR mask, whistle, fanny pack, CPRO (Cardiac Pulmonary Resuscitation for the Professional Rescuer), Oxygen Administration and First Aid certifications.
- $195: YMCA Member
- $245: Community Member
- YMCA Lifeguard (5th Edition): 2 Years
- ASHI CPR Pro: 1 Year
- ASHI Basic First Aid: 2 Years
- ASHI Emergency Oxygen Administration: 2 Years
*ASHI = American Safety and Health Institute
Participants must pass the following swim test:
- Swim 50 meters of each: front crawl with head up, sidestroke, breaststroke, breaststroke head up, elementary backstroke kick with no hands.
- Tread water for at least 2 minutes with legs only. Swim 100 meters front crawl.
- Surface dive, head first and feet first in 8 to 10 feet of water and swim underwater for 15 feet.
- Sprint 25 meters, perform a surface dive, collect an object from the bottom of the pool, tread for at least 1 minute, hoist yourself out of the water and immediately perform 100 chest compressions on a manikin.
COURSE ORGANIZATION AND TIMING
- Classroom hours: 14.5 hours
- Water/Pool hours: 13 hours
- eLearning hours: 8.5 hours
- Total: 36 hours
UPCOMING CLASSES AND REGISTRATION
Class times and sessions change regularly based on enrollment. To find an upcoming class, please contact Ashley Jones at 253-460-8872.