Wow! It’s hard to believe our YMCA buildings have been closed since March 16. As you’ve heard from us over the last two months, our doors are closed but our mission has continued. Thank you to everyone who has been able to donate your membership dues! Because of you, we are serving hundreds of children of essential workers, providing meals to children and senior citizens, making hundreds of phone calls to YMCA members isolated at home, and providing showers, clothes, and meals to our homeless community in Lakewood, Puyallup, and Tacoma.
While much of this high impact work will continue, we’re also excited to open our buildings and welcome back our staff and members. We are following Washington’s Safe Start phased reopening plan to determine when members can return. Here’s what we know today: Pierce County and Kitsap County are in Phase 2 of the Safe Start plan and the Y is expected to be eligible to open in Phase 3.
While we anxiously await a firm reopening date, there are a few things you can do now to get ready to return to the Y.
- Expect the unexpected. Just as many areas of our lives have changed, your Y experience will look different. We ask all members and staff to enter with the Y’s values of caring, honest, respect, and responsibility and navigate ongoing and frequent changes. We’re in this together.
- Plan your visit. Download the Y’s mobile app and visit ymcapkc.org/welcomeback to check out all the resources available to you! Soon you'll be able to review our new reservations system for your facility visit and group exercise classes, run through the health screening questions, take note of what you’ll need to bring when you visit the Y, and check out which areas of the building will be open.
- Stay connected. Social media is the best way to get the latest information and stay connected with your Y family! Join us on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, and Twitter for updates.
- Stay healthy. Once you download the mobile app, you’ll find a variety of free resources to keep you healthy until our doors open. Take an on-demand fitness or dance class on YMCA 360. We are adding new classes every week and even more of the local instructors you’ve seen at your Y! You might also enjoy the workout of the day, personalized workout creator, or challenges to compete with your friends.
- Nourish your spirit and mind. We are preparing to launch a new online small group experience called Community Cafes. Join other Y members and community members to navigate our lives together.
- Talk to President and CEO Charlie Davis. Many of you know Charlie, our beloved leader. He is chatting with our community live every Friday on a variety of topics important to you. Please join our Community Conversations with Charlie on Facebook Live at 10am every Friday. https://www.ymcapkc.org/virtual/responding-to-emerging-needs/.
We miss you! You bring our mission life and we are beyond excited to be with you again. Thank you for staying with us and being part of our YMCA family.