Water Safety Programs
YMCA Lifeguard (6th edition)
Participants will learn basic lifesaving skills, BLS (Basic Life Support), Oxygen training and will be certified in all upon completion of the program.
- Lifeguard recert: $195 for members, $245 for non-members. (includes BLS/BFA/O2 recert)
- BLS/BFA/O2 recert: $15 members, $30 non-members.
Ages: For ages 16 and older. Must be 16 years old by the last day of the course.
Registration: Register at the Welcome Center or online today!
Contact Michael Guill at 253-460-8802
Learn to Lifeguard in a variety of settings including pool, lake, river, surf, and water park. Earn YMCA Lifeguard (6th edition), First Aid, BLS (Basic Life Support) and Oxygen Administration certifications.
LIFEGUARD CERTIFICATIONS AND FEE
Included: CPR mask, whistle, fanny pack, BLS (Basic Life Support), Oxygen Administration and First Aid certifications.
- $195: YMCA Member
- $245: Community Member
- YMCA Lifeguard (6th Edition): 2 Years
- ASHI CPR Pro: 1 Year
- ASHI Basic First Aid: 2 Years
- ASHI Emergency Oxygen Administration: 2 Years
*ASHI = American Safety and Health Institute
Participants must pass the following swim test:
- Swim 50 meters of each: front crawl with head up, sidestroke, breaststroke, breaststroke head up, elementary backstroke kick with no hands.
- Tread water for at least 2 minutes with legs only. Swim 100 meters front crawl.
- Surface dive, head first and feet first in 8 to 10 feet of water and swim underwater for 15 feet.
- Sprint 25 meters, perform a surface dive, collect an object from the bottom of the pool, tread for at least 1 minute, hoist yourself out of the water and immediately perform 100 chest compressions on a manikin.
COURSE ORGANIZATION AND TIMING
- Classroom hours: 14.5 hours
- Water/Pool hours: 13 hours
- eLearning hours: 8.5 hours
- Total: 36 hours
If you have questions, contact Michael Guill 253-460-8854
View the schedules for: