Tornadoes Pre-Swim and Typhoons Swim Team
Engage in competitive swimming with a goal-focused emphasis. Swim team participation promotes sportsmanship, self-esteem, self-discipline, self-improvement, and social interaction.
Winter Season Swim Team Tryouts:
Tryouts will be held Saturday, January 19 from 12–1:30pm. Please register here to reserve your 10 minute tryout slot.
January 6-18: Winter Registration
Returning swimmers must register by January 18. Pick up your registration brochure from the Aquatics office and return it to Membership beginning January 6.
January 9-18: Stroke Clinics
Register now at the Membership counter. We have 40 slots available for swim team members only, in each of the following clinics:
Fee: $5 per clinic.
Wed. Jan 09, 2019: 5:30P-6:00P
Fri. Jan 11, 2019: 5:30P-6:00P
Mon. Jan 14, 2019: 5:30P-6:00P
Wed. Jan 16, 2019: 5:30P-6:00P
Sarts and Turns
Fri. Jan 18, 2019: 5:30P-6:00P
January 7-25: State Practice
Swimmers who qualified for State can register for State Practice now. State practice will run Mon/Wed/Fri 6:15p – 7:15p. Fee: $30
January 24: YMCA PSSA STATE MEET
Location: King County Aquatic Center, 650 SW Campus Dr, Federal Way, WA 98203 Registration Deadline: January 14 at 8pm
January 28 –April 7: Winter Season
- Swimmers (ages 6-12 years) must be at Level 4 Stroke Introduction/Level 5 Stroke Development and above, our Tornadoes pre-swim team is the perfect way to get started with swim team!
- Swimmers must be able to complete 25 yards of freestyle and 25 yards of backstroke without stopping.
- Tornadoes swimmers get an introduction to competitive swimming, with an emphasis on stroke technique. They even compete at a swim meet or two
Tornadoes Pre-Swim Team Practice and Meets:
- Mondays and Fridays | 5:15 - 6:15pm
- Swim meets take place on Saturdays throughout the season
One season of pre-swim team is $50 for 8-10 weeks of practices and 1-2 swim meets.
- Swimmers at Level 5 Stroke Development or above are welcome to try out for our Typhoons swim team!
- Swimmers must be able to demonstrate the following;
- Ages 8 and Under | 50 Freestyle, 25 Backstroke, 25 Breast Stroke, and 25 Dolphin Kick.
- Ages 9-12 | 50 Freestyle, 50 Backstroke, 50 Breast Stroke, and 50 Dolphin Kick.
- Ages 13-18 | 100 Freestyle, 50 Backstroke, 50 Breast Stroke, and 50 Butterfly.
- Our YMCA swim team is a recreational team centered around goal-setting and personal achievements, and participating in swim meets is entirely optional but highly encouraged. We offer opportunities to compete at meets with neighboring Y's, and we are members of the Puget Sound Swim Association competitive swim league.
Typhoons Swim Team Practices
Practices are split into three different groups, Gold, Blue, and Green. Gold and Blue groups have swimmers of a variety of skill levels, but our Blue hour has a group of high school age swimmers that swim year-round with the team. Our Green group is for novice/intermediate and intermediate/advanced lane swimmers looking for practices twice a week with the option to compete in meets.
- Gold swimmers practice Mondays and Fridays 5:15-6:15pm, and Saturdays 11:30am-12:30pm.
- Blue swimmers practice Mondays and Fridays 6:15-7:15, and Saturdays 12:30-1:30pm.
- Green swimmers practice Tuesdays and Fridays 7:15-8:15pm.
One season of Gold/Blue swim team is $70 for 8-10 weeks of practices, 2 YMCA meets, and a monthly free/ low-cost PSSA league meet.
One season of Green swim team is $50 for 8-10 weeks of practice, 2 YMCA meets, and a monthly free/ low-cost PSSA league meet.
Sandi Rose at 253-460-8990