- In order to maintain a safe environment for members of all ages, please refer to the facility age guidelines.
The YMCA of Pierce and Kitsap Counties is committed to providing a safe, positive, and welcoming environment for all of our members, guests, and community. To ensure the safety and comfort of all, we ask individuals to act appropriately at all times while in our facilities and while they are participating in YMCA programs.
We expect all those using our YMCA facilities and programs to behave in an appropriate, mature, and responsible manner, respecting the rights and dignity of others. Our Code of Conduct does not permit language or action that can hurt, frighten, or intimidate another person or falls below a generally accepted standard of conduct. Violation of these guidelines may result in suspension or revocation of membership privileges. Specifically we ask you to:
- Our facilities are Safe Zones. The use or possession of tobacco products, drugs, alcohol, or dangerous weapons is not allowed in or at YMCA programs or facilities.
- Unsafe, reckless, or dangerous behavior will not be tolerated.
Be Caring to Others:
- Fighting, physical confrontation, or threatening behavior is not allowed in YMCA programs or facilities.
Be Respectful of Yourself and Others:
- Mistreatment or harassment of YMCA members, guests, or staff is strictly prohibited.
- Any demonstration of inappropriate displays of affection, sexual activity, or sexual contact with another person is strictly prohibited.
- Intentional damage or theft of another person’s property or YMCA property will not be tolerated.
- Abusive or profane language will not be tolerated.
- Appropriate attire must be worn at all times. As a family organization we encourage members and guests to maintain an appearance that is not disruptive, distracting, nor offensive in any regard or attire that does not present health or safety concerns. Accordingly, YMCA may restrict appearance and attire with special consideration for those specific issues. The list below is meant for example purposes and may not be inclusive of all expectations:
- Clothing and jewelry that carry sexual, vulgar, or offensive messages or references, including pictures of the use of alcohol, tobacco, drugs, and gang affiliation and any apparel item that can be used as a weapon will not be permitted.
- Tattoos, body art, piercings or body modifications that carry sexual, vulgar, or offensive messages, references or pictures, including that of alcohol, tobacco, drugs, and gang affiliations, will not be permitted. You may cover these so that they are not exposed while using the facility.
Additionally, throughout the facility:
- Closed-toe athletic shoes and shirts or workout tops are required. Exceptions for certain classes and programs such as Yoga or dance classes. No shirts vs. skins games.
- Pants and shorts must be worn at the waist; underwear, boxers, or undershorts must be covered.
- Eye guards are strongly recommended to be worn in the racquetball courts during racquetball, squash, and handball play.
- Proper swim attire is to be worn in the swimming pools and spa areas. Please no gym shorts, cut offs or T-shirts. One piece suits for women are encouraged.
- Appropriate attire (swimwear) or towel wraps (non-coed facilities) are required for use of saunas and steam rooms.
- Members are required to show and scan their membership card upon entrance to a YMCA facility. Guests must be accompanied by the host member and are required to present photo identification.
Be Honest With Yourself and Others:
Conduct that does not support the YMCA mission or values of caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility is not acceptable and your membership could be terminated.
- Member Health: The applicant represents that he/she is in physically sound condition and understands participation in aerobics and other exercise, weight training, recreational sports, and use of pools, spas, saunas, steam rooms, and fitness equipment carry a potential risk of injuries or illness. The applicant understands the YMCA of Pierce and Kitsap Counties assumes no responsibility for any such injury or illness.
- Member Conduct and Right to Use the Facility: Applicant agrees to abide by all policies and procedures of the YMCA of Pierce and Kitsap Counties and its branches, and understands failure to act in accordance with these rules may result in expulsion from the YMCA and revocation of the membership.
- Criminal History: The applicant acknowledges it is the policy of the YMCA of Pierce and Kitsap Counties to deny membership to any individual registered as a sex offender.
- Property Loss: The applicant understands the YMCA of Pierce and Kitsap Counties is not responsible for personal property lost, damaged or stolen while using YMCA facilities or participating in YMCA programs.
- Photograph Permission: The applicant hereby grants permission for the YMCA to use, without limitation or obligation, photographs or other media which may include the member’s image or voice to promote or interpret YMCA programs.
- Insurance: The applicant understands the YMCA of Pierce and Kitsap Counties does not provide any accident or health insurance for its members or participants, and further understands it is the applicant’s responsibility to provide such coverage.
- Membership Cancellation: Any discrepancies to membership cancellation must be brought to the YMCA’s attention within 90 days. The YMCA is not liable for any discrepancies to membership cancellation passed 90 days.
- Camera and Cell Phone Use: Cell phone usage is prohibited in locker rooms and dressing rooms. Members may take pictures for their personal use in classes or activity areas if they have obtained prior approval from the class instructor or the staff member on duty for the activity, and only when it is considered non-disruptive to the activity taking place. The privacy of those being photographed must be understood and respected. Use of photographic equipment shall not be permitted if disruptive of activities taking place or if the physical or emotional safety of other participants is compromised.