Water Safety Programs
Life Guard Training
Learn to Lifeguard in a variety of settings including a pool, lake, river, surf, and water park. Earn YMCA Lifeguard, First Aid, CPR for the Professional Rescuer, AED, and Oxygen Administration certifications.
LIFEGUARD CERTIFICATIONS AND FEE
Included: CPR mask, whistle, fanny pack, CPRO (Cardiac Pulmonary Resuscitation for the Professional Rescuer), Oxygen Administration, and First Aid certifications.
- $195: YMCA Member
- $245: Community Member
- YMCA Lifeguard (5th Edition): 2 Years
- ASHI CPR Pro: 1 Year
- ASHI Basic First Aid: 2 Years
- ASHI Emergency Oxygen Administration: 2 Years
*ASHI= American Safety and Health Institute
Participants must pass the following swim test:
- Swim 50 yards of each: front crawl with heads up, sidestroke, breaststroke, breaststroke heads up, elementary backstroke kick with no hands.
- Tread water for at least two minutes with legs only. Swim 100 yards front crawl.
- Surface dive, head first and feet first in 8 to 10 feet of water and swim underwater for 15 feet.
- Sprint 25 yards, perform a surface dive, collect an object from the bottom of the pool, tread for at least one minute, hoist yourself out of the water, and immediately perform 100 chest compressions on a mannequin.
COURSE ORGANIZATION AND TIMING
- Classroom hours: 14.5 hours
- Water/Pool hours: 13 hours
- eLearning hours: 8.5 hours
- Total: 36 hours