Water Safety Programs
Learn to Lifeguard in a variety of settings including pool, lake, river, surf, and water park. Earn YMCA Lifeguard, First Aid, CPR for the Professional Rescuer, AED, and Oxygen Administration certifications.
LIFEGUARD CERTIFICATIONS AND FEE
Included: CPR mask, whistle, fanny pack, CPRO (Cardiac Pulmonary Resuscitation for the Professional Rescuer), Oxygen Administration, and First Aid certifications.
- $195: YMCA Member
- $245: Community Member
- YMCA Lifeguard (5th Edition): 2 Years
- ASHI CPR Pro: 1 Year
- ASHI Basic First Aid: 2 Years
- ASHI Emergency Oxygen Administration: 2 Years
*ASHI= American Safety and Health Institute
Participants must pass the following swim test:
- Swim 50 yards of each: front crawl with heads up, sidestroke, breaststroke, breaststroke heads up, elementary backstroke kick with no hands.
- Tread water for at least two minutes with legs only. Swim 100 yards front crawl.
- Surface dive, head first and feet first in 8 to 10 feet of water and swim underwater for 15 feet.
- Sprint 25 yards, perform a surface dive, collect an object from the bottom of the pool, tread for at least on minute, hoist yourself out of the water, and immediately perform 100 chest compressions on a manikin.
COURSE ORGANIZATION AND TIMING
- Classroom hours: 14.5 hours
- Water/Pool hours: 13 hours
- eLearning hours: 8.5 hours
- Total: 36 hours
To inquire about registering for YMCA Lifeguarding Certification Course, fill out the interest form below. If you have questions, contact Wes Wuco at 360-307-4012.
Help keep children safe with the YMCA's Safety Around Water program, where participants learn essential water safety skills. The program is free to participants and open to anyone in the community; a YMCA membership is not necessary to participate.
- Eligible participants are 6-12 years old
- Students learn valuable drowning prevention techniques
- Lessons are conducted in the water in addition to land-based water safety
- Students will learn what a Personal Flotation Device is and how to use it
- Students will learn how to front and back float, jump in and return to the edge of the pool, and to kick on their front and back for ten feet
- Students will be introduced to the YMCA values of caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility
- Check back for upcoming sessions.