Water Safety Programs
Learn to Lifeguard in a variety of settings including pool, lake, river, surf, and water park. Earn YMCA Lifeguard, First Aid, CPR for the Professional Rescuer, AED, and Oxygen Administration certifications.
LIFEGUARD CERTIFICATIONS AND FEE
Included: CPR mask, whistle, fanny pack, CPRO (Cardiac Pulmonary Resuscitation for the Professional Rescuer), Oxygen Administration, and First Aid certifications.
- $195: YMCA Member
- $245: Community Member
- YMCA Lifeguard (5th Edition): 2 Years
- ASHI CPR Pro: 1 Year
- ASHI Basic First Aid: 2 Years
- ASHI Emergency Oxygen Administration: 2 Years
*ASHI= American Safety and Health Institute
Participants must pass the following swim test:
- Swim 50 yards of each: front crawl with heads up, sidestroke, breaststroke, breaststroke heads up, elementary backstroke kick with no hands.
- Tread water for at least two minutes with legs only. Swim 100 yards front crawl.
- Surface dive, head first and feet first in 8 to 10 feet of water and swim underwater for 15 feet.
- Sprint 25 yards, perform a surface dive, collect an object from the bottom of the pool, tread for at least on minute, hoist yourself out of the water, and immediately perform 100 chest compressions on a manikin.
COURSE ORGANIZATION AND TIMING
- Classroom hours: 14.5 hours
- Water/Pool hours: 13 hours
- eLearning hours: 8.5 hours
- Total: 36 hours
To inquire about registering for YMCA Lifeguarding Certification Course, fill out the interest form below. If you have questions, contact Bev Erevia at 253-460-8977
The Third Grade Swim Program teaches third grade students in the Bremerton School District how to be safe in the water
Transportation is provided by the Bremerton School District
- Every year, 450 third grade students learn life-long water safety skills through a combination of water-based and land-based instruction